[zfs-discuss] Improving read IOPS on RAIDZ

Edward Ned Harvey (zfsonlinux) zfsonlinux at nedharvey.com
Thu Apr 28 22:52:47 EDT 2016

> From: zfs-discuss [mailto:zfs-discuss-bounces at list.zfsonlinux.org] On Behalf
> Of Hans Henrik Happe via zfs-discuss
>
> The intention of my question was to find out if ZFS could be changed to
> only access one disk when doing a small reads on RAIDZ.

If my understanding is correct, that raidz distributes data more similar to raid-1e, then you don't have to change anything to get the desired behavior. It is already that way by default.

Do you have any reason to believe it's not already that way?

> It's a fact, that due to the RAIDZ design, ZFS cannot perform as well as
> regular RAID5/6, where reads basically work like RAID0. This can be a

I mean... You say "it's a fact," but the thing you're asserting to be fact, completely disagrees with everything I know and believe. I'm still not seeing any reason to believe your presumption is correct.