[zfs-discuss] COW when re-writing identical data?

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Fri Dec 2 19:57:13 EST 2016

Hello,

If I override a file with the same data, will ZFS recognize that the
data hasn't changed and not create a copy? Or do I need to enable
de-duplication for this to work?

This would be very nice to speed up backups of virtual machine images,
if most of the blocks have to be only read but not written, I'd expect
quite a performance boost.

Best,
-Nikolaus