[zfs-discuss] Real world experience with SanDisk Optimus or Seagate 1200.2 SSDs

Alex Waite alexqw85 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 06:42:01 EST 2016

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently reviewing vendor bids for a SuperMicro server with ~50TB
in SSDs. It will be a read-heavy workload and will use ZFS.

Multiple bids use the SanDisk Optimus Max 4TB (0.5 DWPD) or Seagate's
1200.2 3.84TB Light Endurance (3 DWPD).

I can find the data sheets for each of these drives, but my trawling of
mailing lists has turned up little in the way of real-world production
usage.

The increased durability of the Seagate sure looks nice, but there's a
difference between reliability and durability...

Does anyone here have experience, information, or anecdotes about either
of these drive lines?

---Alex