[zfs-discuss] debian-jessie on zfs root?

Achim Gottinger achim at ag-web.biz
Fri Dec 9 08:18:22 EST 2016

Am 09.12.2016 um 13:34 schrieb Fajar A. Nugraha via zfs-discuss:
> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Achim Gottinger via zfs-discuss
> <zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org
> <mailto:zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org>> wrote:
>
>     I did setup jessie with zfs root based on that docs a while back.
>     Did the transition to jessie-backports zfs packages afterwards and
>     had to patch grub to make it work.
>     Just updated an different debian sid system with zfs root and the
>     latest grub package now works without patches. I only had to add
>     boot=zfs to the kernel options manually.
>     So for debian jessie beside the zfs and spl packages from
>     jessie-backports you need the latest grub packages from sid and
>     the boot=zfs kernel option.
>

> Hmmm ...
>
> If debian still needs "boot=zfs", then IMHO their zfs-initramfs (and
> probably grub?) is behind ubuntu w.r.t. zfsroot support. On ubuntu
> 16.04.1, update-grub would correctly add "root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/ubuntu"
> (or whatever dataset you use for root), and zfs-initramfs is able to
> use it without the need of additional kernel boot parameters.
>
> If you feel similar level of integration is desirable on debian as
> well, try contacting debian maintainers asking to add that feature. Or
> try porting ubuntu's source package to debian (often you only need to
> rebuild it).
>
> --
> Fajar

Tank you for the feedback!
Debian developers added an required patch from ubuntu
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-grub/grub.git/tree/debian/patches/zpool_full_device_name.patch
to grub with the latest release
http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/g/grub2/grub2_2.02~beta3-3_changelog.
With this update-grub now adds root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/debian.
Without the boot=zfs option however I ended up on an initramfs rescue
shell. Last zfs package release was in september, grub was modified in
november.
I assume zfs-initramfs also requires an patch from ubuntu to make the
boot=zfs paramter unneccessary. Meanwhile I modified
/etc/grub.d/10_linux to add that parameter for zfs root sections.

Achim~