[zfs-discuss] Wheezy packages?

Sander Klein roedie at roedie.nl
Sat Dec 10 02:34:52 EST 2016

On 2016-12-10 05:20, Zak Smith via zfs-discuss wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 09, 2016 at 04:46:58PM -0800, Jamie Lawrence wrote:
>> > You can call me all the names you want, I'm fine with it.  By your
>> > definition of concern troll, any bug report to an open source project
>> > is concern trolling.  Laughable.
>>

>> Can???t speak for anyone else, but I haven???t called you
>> anything. And a comparing what you???re doing to a bug report is, to
>> be frank, bullshit.
>
> Actually you called me a leech and implied that my posts were concern
> trolling.  So there's that.

Hey hey hey, please give credits to the correct person this. The leech
remark was from me. It was not supposed to be taken that way like me
calling you a leach. What I tried to say was the habbit of people
relying and making demands on work that is done by volunteers. So,
please don't take it personally, or do, I don't mind, but it wasn't
meant that way.

>> If anyone said it is not a problem that some folks running an old
>> release can???t upgrade, I missed it.
>
> You've got to be kidding me, we're like a dozen messages into this
> thread, and exactly zero posts have acknowledged that it is in fact a
> problem.  They have all either attacked me or tried to explain why it
> isn't a problem and any ZoL packages that existed in the past were
> just mere coincidences, happenstances of a random universe, with no
> rhyme or reason for their existence, and certainly no purpose as part
> of a long-term goal of getting ZFS integrated coherently into Linux
> distributions.  That's the defensive part you haven't apparently seen
> either.

I for instance fail to see the problem. The repos were lagging for some
time so you could not be relying on them for the swift bug fixes and
releases. Your shiny ZFS servers will keep functioning just as good as
they did without the repos. If you need new servers with ZFS you just
base them on Jessie.

The defensive part from my side comes from the fact that the old
maintainers probably will not respond on this list anymore and I feel
they should not be attacked like this. People in open source projects
come and go, and if no one steps up to takeover their work, then that
work stops. If the packaging was some kind of commercial service for
which people paid you would have all the right to scream on top of your
lungs that the handling was crap. But it was done by volunteers....
spare time... get the feeling?

You could say some of the devs should have taken it over, but then they
have less time to develop good ZFS code. It's a matter of priorities. I
rather have them produce good code that compiles easy than putting time
in packaging.

Greets,

Sander