[zfs-discuss] How unstable is git master code?

Chris Siebenmann cks at cs.toronto.edu
Wed Dec 14 11:21:32 EST 2016

> Anybody here using zfs/spl-9999 packages on Gentoo? I need to try 4.9
> for something but I can't because spl-0.6.5.8 fails the compile.

 I run git tip or very close to it on my desktop and have for some time
(although it's not Gentoo and on 4.8.x kernels). My current experience
is good; even though a major rework of kernel memory handling was
recently integrated into the development version, things seem solid.

(In general this is my experience running the latest git master.  I've
only had a few rare occasions where it had problems; almost all of the
time it's completely stable. My impression is that the ZFS developers
work fairly hard to make sure that only stable code is put into the git
master.)

	- cks