[zfs-discuss] debian-jessie on zfs root?

Achim Gottinger achim at ag-web.biz
Wed Dec 14 12:57:32 EST 2016

Am 09.12.2016 um 14:18 schrieb Achim Gottinger via zfs-discuss:

> Am 09.12.2016 um 13:34 schrieb Fajar A. Nugraha via zfs-discuss:
>> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Achim Gottinger via zfs-discuss
>> <zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org
>> <mailto:zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     I did setup jessie with zfs root based on that docs a while back.
>>     Did the transition to jessie-backports zfs packages afterwards
>>     and had to patch grub to make it work.
>>     Just updated an different debian sid system with zfs root and the
>>     latest grub package now works without patches. I only had to add
>>     boot=zfs to the kernel options manually.
>>     So for debian jessie beside the zfs and spl packages from
>>     jessie-backports you need the latest grub packages from sid and
>>     the boot=zfs kernel option.
>>

>> Hmmm ...
>>
>> If debian still needs "boot=zfs", then IMHO their zfs-initramfs (and
>> probably grub?) is behind ubuntu w.r.t. zfsroot support. On ubuntu
>> 16.04.1, update-grub would correctly add "root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/ubuntu"
>> (or whatever dataset you use for root), and zfs-initramfs is able to
>> use it without the need of additional kernel boot parameters.
>>
>> If you feel similar level of integration is desirable on debian as
>> well, try contacting debian maintainers asking to add that feature.
>> Or try porting ubuntu's source package to debian (often you only need
>> to rebuild it).
>>
>> --
>> Fajar
>>
> Tank you for the feedback!
> Debian developers added an required patch from ubuntu
> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-grub/grub.git/tree/debian/patches/zpool_full_device_name.patch
> to grub with the latest release
> http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/g/grub2/grub2_2.02~beta3-3_changelog.
> With this update-grub now adds root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/debian.
> Without the boot=zfs option however I ended up on an initramfs rescue
> shell. Last zfs package release was in september, grub was modified in
> november.
> I assume zfs-initramfs also requires an patch from ubuntu to make the
> boot=zfs paramter unneccessary. Meanwhile I modified
> /etc/grub.d/10_linux to add that parameter for zfs root sections.
>
> Achim~
Compared ubuntu's and debian's zfs-initrafmfs and debian lacks an config
file .
After adding this to debian the boot=zfs parameter is no longer
required. I created an debian bugreport, so it should be fixed soon if
the maintainers accept thta solution.

/usr/share/initramfs-tools/conf.d/zfs

for x in $(cat /proc/cmdline)
do