[zfs-discuss] Unable to set global hot spares in OmniOS?

Chris Siebenmann cks at cs.toronto.edu
Fri Dec 16 14:37:27 EST 2016

> Apparently, using the "-f" (force) flag causes the error, and omitting
> it does not.
>
> This should probably be reported somewhere.
>
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 6:46 PM, Locane <locane at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a system running OmniOS, where a customer wants some large
> > zpools set up.  There are 2 pools with the attached disks, and the
> > intent is to share the hot spare drives among them.

 Whoops, I missed this message the first time around.

 While our experience with shared spares is almost a decade old by
now (and on Solaris 10), it was not positive. I have an old writeup
from 2010 here:

	https://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/solaris/ZFSSharedSpares

We wound up moving to a system where we had a separate spares management
system that held 'spare' disks in reserve and deployed them into pools
as needed. We had to do this by hand, but these days with ZFS on Linux
I believe you could build a ZED script to do it easily and on the spot
(driven by failures reported to ZED).

It's possible that shared spares have been disabled in modern versions
of ZFS because no one could fix all the bugs and get them to work well.

	- cks