[zfs-discuss] Cheap arm64 development board

Gordan Bobic gordan.bobic at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 06:33:17 EST 2016

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 11:21 AM, Durval Menezes <durval.menezes at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>

> On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 8:45 AM, Gordan Bobic via zfs-discuss <
> zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 10:38 AM, Romain Dolbeau via zfs-discuss <
>> zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org> wrote:

>>> cost
>>>
>>> There's a lot of choice of A53s with neither ECC nor SATA for
>>> $30-$100. They might not be a good fit for ZFS, since ECC is
>>> considered by many a must...
>>>
>>> Since the AMD A1100 SoC is nowhere to be found, and the X-Gene boards
>>> are quite expensive (but at least they exist), the only one I found so
>>> far is a development board:
>>> <https://www.solid-run.com/marvell-armada-family/armada-8040
>>> -community-board/>.
>>> More expensive than the plethora of basic Aarch64 SBC, but you get
>>> A72s, ECC, SATA and 10 GbE. At least that's the claim, I haven't got
>>> one yet.
>>>

> Good find, that looks like an awesome aarch64 board. They only seem to
>> list u-boot, though. Let's hope that Tianocore UEFI firmware also becomes
>> available when the product ships.

To correct myself, they DO list UEFI. Let's hope it's sensibly priced.

> +1. Albeit it has way too much network interfaces and not enough USB 3
> (nor SATA ports)...

I'm pretty sure there are 3 SATA ports visible in the picture.

> I would gladly exchange those 4 network interfaces for a single 10Gbit
> copper-only ethernet

I didn't think 10Gb copper is a "thing" yet, mainly because of cost and
power requirements.

> and the other three in additional USB3 ports (or, now that we're dreaming
> anyway, a pair of  Thunderbolt 3 ports). OTOH it has a PCIEx4 port, so a
> 4-port USB3 expansion port (or a pair of Thunderbolts) perhaps aren't too
> far-fetched...
>
> Two very important things are still unsaid for this board, tho: ETA and
> $$$..

Well, to put it into perspective:

This has twice as many cores that are 20% faster, and it has 8x the DIMM
slots, and 2x the PCIe slots:
https://www.xcase.co.uk/products/gigabyte-mp30-ar0-with-appliedmicro-x-gene1-processor

So I would expect the solid-run board to be somewhere in the < £200 price
bracket.