[zfs-discuss] Cheap arm64 development board

Andrew Carlson naclosagc at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 20:35:36 EST 2016

I got ZFS built on an Odroid-C2 64-bit.  The one thing I had to do was
limit the arc.  With unlimited arc, even though if I remember right it
would default to half the memory, it would drive the Odroid to stop
responding to ZFS.  The arc was abut 860MB at that point.  I limited it to
400MB and it didn't hang ZFS.

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 12:07 PM, Gordan Bobic via zfs-discuss <

> On 29/12/16 17:42, Alexander Schreiber wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 12:03:55PM +0000, Gordan Bobic via zfs-discuss
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Don't underestimate what Xeons cost, though. I have a maxed out G8 HP
>>> microserver, and although the machine itself was only about £100, putting
>>> in a top of the line CPU (E3 1290v2) was about £300 extra on top, and
>>> between it's 4 cores, it gets beaten by the 8 X-Gene cores on the MP30
>>> ARM
>>> board in server tasks and non-FPU heavy workloads (e.g. compiling). The
>>> Xeon wins by a large margin on heavily optimized SIMD workloads (e.g.
>>> libx264 encoding), but that's a pretty narrow use case. And the X-Gene
>>> has
>>> a TDP of just over half.
>>>

>> So I've read about the Gigabyte MP30, but so far failed to find someplace
>> that is actually willing to sell one. How does one go about acquiring one,
>> then?
>>

> I got it from here:
>
> https://www.xcase.co.uk/products/gigabyte-mp30-ar0-with-
> appliedmicro-x-gene1-processor