[zfs-discuss] zfs-discuss Digest, Vol 10, Issue 76

Kevin Abbey kevin.abbey at rutgers.edu
Wed Feb 17 18:34:05 EST 2016


Here it is.
(parted) p
Model: Unknown (unknown)
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 800GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number  Start  End  Size  File system  Name  Flags



 My guess is that ashift 9 is correct for the 512B but I'd prefer to know
the disk details, rather than what the OS and parted "interpret".  I didn't
find it on the Samsung site.

Thank you for assisting.
Kevin



On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 6:24 PM, <zfs-discuss-request at list.zfsonlinux.org>
wrote:

> Send zfs-discuss mailing list submissions to
>         zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         http://list.zfsonlinux.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/zfs-discuss
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         zfs-discuss-request at list.zfsonlinux.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         zfs-discuss-owner at list.zfsonlinux.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of zfs-discuss digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. nvme -- ashift value -- Samsung XS1715 (Kevin Abbey)
>    2. Re: nvme -- ashift value -- Samsung XS1715 (Schlacta, Christ)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 18:21:58 -0500
> From: Kevin Abbey <kevinabbey.at.ccib at gmail.com>
> To: zfs-discuss at zfsonlinux.org
> Subject: [zfs-discuss] nvme -- ashift value -- Samsung XS1715
> Message-ID:
>         <
> CA+cqjqXGORYHucDDa9hGRPDnapdY9-y8iVc12ktup4m5cKN2BQ at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering to format an nvme device with zfs but am not sure which
> ashift is correct.
>
> I've read the following two links for reference but am still unable to
> determine the correct ashift value.
>
> http://list.zfsonlinux.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2014-June/016263.html
>
> https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/blob/master/cmd/zpool/zpool_vdev.c
>
>
> I've pasted the device information below.  If anyone can assist please
> share with an explaination.
>
> Thank you,
> Kevin
>
>
>
>
> ====================================
>
> ~]# lspci -s 84:00.0 -vvv
>
>
> 84:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe SSD
> Controller 171X (rev 03) (prog-if 02 [NVM Express])
>     Subsystem: Dell Express Flash NVMe XS1715 SSD 800GB
>     Physical Slot: 180
>     Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
>     Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort-
> <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
>     Latency: 0
>     Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 37
>     Region 0: Memory at c8600000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>     Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 3
>         Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
> PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
>         Status: D0 NoSoftRst+ PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-
>     Capabilities: [c8] MSI: Enable- Count=1/32 Maskable+ 64bit+
>         Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
>         Masking: 00000000  Pending: 00000001
>     Capabilities: [e0] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=129 Masked-
>         Vector table: BAR=0 offset=00002000
>         PBA: BAR=0 offset=00003000
>     Capabilities: [70] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00
>         DevCap:    MaxPayload 256 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s
> unlimited, L1 unlimited
>             ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset+
>         DevCtl:    Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal+ Fatal+
> Unsupported+
>             RlxdOrd- ExtTag+ PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop- FLReset-
>             MaxPayload 256 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
>         DevSta:    CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr-
> TransPend-
>         LnkCap:    Port #0, Speed 8GT/s, Width x4, ASPM L0s L1, Exit
> Latency L0s <4us, L1 <4us
>             ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
>         LnkCtl:    ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- CommClk-
>             ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
>         LnkSta:    Speed 8GT/s, Width x4, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive-
> BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
>         DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Range AB, TimeoutDis+, LTR-, OBFF Not
> Supported
>         DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 65ms to 210ms, TimeoutDis-, LTR-, OBFF
> Disabled
>         LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 8GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-
>              Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range,
> EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS-
>              Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB
>         LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -6dB, EqualizationComplete+,
> EqualizationPhase1+
>              EqualizationPhase2+, EqualizationPhase3+,
> LinkEqualizationRequest-
>     Capabilities: [40] Vendor Specific Information: Len=24 <?>
>     Capabilities: [100 v2] Advanced Error Reporting
>         UESta:    DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF-
> MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
>         UEMsk:    DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt+ UnxCmplt+ RxOF-
> MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
>         UESvrt:    DLP+ SDES- TLP+ FCP- CmpltTO+ CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF-
> MalfTLP+ ECRC+ UnsupReq- ACSViol-
>         CESta:    RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr-
>         CEMsk:    RxErr+ BadTLP+ BadDLLP+ Rollover+ Timeout+ NonFatalErr+
>         AERCap:    First Error Pointer: 00, GenCap+ CGenEn+ ChkCap+ ChkEn+
>     Capabilities: [180 v1] #19
>     Capabilities: [150 v1] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1
> Len=02c <?>
>     Kernel driver in use: nvme
>
>
> ====================================
>
>
> ~]# modinfo nvme
>
>
> filename:
> /lib/modules/3.10.0-327.4.5.el7.x86_64/kernel/drivers/block/nvme.ko
> version:        1.0
> license:        GPL
> author:         Matthew Wilcox <willy at linux.intel.com>
> <willy at linux.intel.com>
> rhelversion:    7.2
> srcversion:     6FE34EC5F6A703F8EDE6C77
> alias:          pci:v*d*sv*sd*bc01sc08i02*
> depends:
> intree:         Y
> vermagic:       3.10.0-327.4.5.el7.x86_64 SMP mod_unload modversions
> signer:         CentOS Linux kernel signing key
> sig_key: 10:5D:A1:3D:CA:AA:74:AE:50:00:17:E7:D5:2C:DA:9B:7C:C5:10:93
> sig_hashalgo:   sha256
> parm:           admin_timeout:timeout in seconds for admin commands (byte)
> parm:           io_timeout:timeout in seconds for I/O (byte)
> parm:           shutdown_timeout:timeout in seconds for controller shutdown
> (byte)
> parm:           nvme_major:int
> parm:           nvme_char_major:int
> parm:           use_threaded_interrupts:int
>
>
>
>
> ====================================
>
>
> ~]# nvme list
>
> Node             Model                Version  Namepace
> Usage                      Format           FW Rev
> ---------------- -------------------- -------- --------
> -------------------------- ---------------- --------
> /dev/nvme0n1     Dell Express Flash N 1.0      1 14.27  MB / 800.17  GB
> 512   B +  0 B   IPM0FD3Q
>
>
> ====================================
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://list.zfsonlinux.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/attachments/20160217/02fd6205/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 15:24:27 -0800
> From: "Schlacta, Christ" <aarcane at aarcane.org>
> To: "General discussion - ask questions, receive answers and advice
>         from other ZFS users" <zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org>,  Kevin
> Abbey
>         <kevinabbey.at.ccib at gmail.com>
> Cc: zfs-discuss at zfsonlinux.org
> Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] nvme -- ashift value -- Samsung XS1715
> Message-ID:
>         <
> CACpWn9TN-zS86txFh8Yq9iGYysChghtNeu+-VZFykiwRqyeUMg at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> Can you run parted, mklabel gpt, print, and then paste the output?
> On Feb 17, 2016 3:22 PM, "Kevin Abbey via zfs-discuss" <
> zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org> wrote:
>
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm considering to format an nvme device with zfs but am not sure which
> > ashift is correct.
> >
> > I've read the following two links for reference but am still unable to
> > determine the correct ashift value.
> >
> > http://list.zfsonlinux.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2014-June/016263.html
> >
> > https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/blob/master/cmd/zpool/zpool_vdev.c
> >
> >
> > I've pasted the device information below.  If anyone can assist please
> > share with an explaination.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Kevin
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ====================================
> >
> > ~]# lspci -s 84:00.0 -vvv
> >
> >
> > 84:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe
> > SSD Controller 171X (rev 03) (prog-if 02 [NVM Express])
> >     Subsystem: Dell Express Flash NVMe XS1715 SSD 800GB
> >     Physical Slot: 180
> >     Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> > Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
> >     Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort-
> > <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
> >     Latency: 0
> >     Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 37
> >     Region 0: Memory at c8600000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> >     Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 3
> >         Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
> > PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
> >         Status: D0 NoSoftRst+ PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-
> >     Capabilities: [c8] MSI: Enable- Count=1/32 Maskable+ 64bit+
> >         Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000
> >         Masking: 00000000  Pending: 00000001
> >     Capabilities: [e0] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=129 Masked-
> >         Vector table: BAR=0 offset=00002000
> >         PBA: BAR=0 offset=00003000
> >     Capabilities: [70] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00
> >         DevCap:    MaxPayload 256 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s
> > unlimited, L1 unlimited
> >             ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset+
> >         DevCtl:    Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal+ Fatal+
> > Unsupported+
> >             RlxdOrd- ExtTag+ PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop- FLReset-
> >             MaxPayload 256 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
> >         DevSta:    CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr-
> > TransPend-
> >         LnkCap:    Port #0, Speed 8GT/s, Width x4, ASPM L0s L1, Exit
> > Latency L0s <4us, L1 <4us
> >             ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
> >         LnkCtl:    ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- CommClk-
> >             ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
> >         LnkSta:    Speed 8GT/s, Width x4, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+
> DLActive-
> > BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
> >         DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Range AB, TimeoutDis+, LTR-, OBFF
> Not
> > Supported
> >         DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 65ms to 210ms, TimeoutDis-, LTR-,
> > OBFF Disabled
> >         LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 8GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-
> >              Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range,
> > EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS-
> >              Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB
> >         LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -6dB, EqualizationComplete+,
> > EqualizationPhase1+
> >              EqualizationPhase2+, EqualizationPhase3+,
> > LinkEqualizationRequest-
> >     Capabilities: [40] Vendor Specific Information: Len=24 <?>
> >     Capabilities: [100 v2] Advanced Error Reporting
> >         UESta:    DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt-
> RxOF-
> > MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
> >         UEMsk:    DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt+ UnxCmplt+
> RxOF-
> > MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
> >         UESvrt:    DLP+ SDES- TLP+ FCP- CmpltTO+ CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt-
> > RxOF- MalfTLP+ ECRC+ UnsupReq- ACSViol-
> >         CESta:    RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout- NonFatalErr-
> >         CEMsk:    RxErr+ BadTLP+ BadDLLP+ Rollover+ Timeout+ NonFatalErr+
> >         AERCap:    First Error Pointer: 00, GenCap+ CGenEn+ ChkCap+
> ChkEn+
> >     Capabilities: [180 v1] #19
> >     Capabilities: [150 v1] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1
> > Len=02c <?>
> >     Kernel driver in use: nvme
> >
> >
> > ====================================
> >
> >
> > ~]# modinfo nvme
> >
> >
> > filename:
> > /lib/modules/3.10.0-327.4.5.el7.x86_64/kernel/drivers/block/nvme.ko
> > version:        1.0
> > license:        GPL
> > author:         Matthew Wilcox <willy at linux.intel.com>
> > <willy at linux.intel.com>
> > rhelversion:    7.2
> > srcversion:     6FE34EC5F6A703F8EDE6C77
> > alias:          pci:v*d*sv*sd*bc01sc08i02*
> > depends:
> > intree:         Y
> > vermagic:       3.10.0-327.4.5.el7.x86_64 SMP mod_unload modversions
> > signer:         CentOS Linux kernel signing key
> > sig_key: 10:5D:A1:3D:CA:AA:74:AE:50:00:17:E7:D5:2C:DA:9B:7C:C5:10:93
> > sig_hashalgo:   sha256
> > parm:           admin_timeout:timeout in seconds for admin commands
> (byte)
> > parm:           io_timeout:timeout in seconds for I/O (byte)
> > parm:           shutdown_timeout:timeout in seconds for controller
> > shutdown (byte)
> > parm:           nvme_major:int
> > parm:           nvme_char_major:int
> > parm:           use_threaded_interrupts:int
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ====================================
> >
> >
> > ~]# nvme list
> >
> > Node             Model                Version  Namepace
> > Usage                      Format           FW Rev
> > ---------------- -------------------- -------- --------
> > -------------------------- ---------------- --------
> > /dev/nvme0n1     Dell Express Flash N 1.0      1 14.27  MB / 800.17  GB
> > 512   B +  0 B   IPM0FD3Q
> >
> >
> > ====================================
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > zfs-discuss mailing list
> > zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org
> > http://list.zfsonlinux.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/zfs-discuss
> >
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://list.zfsonlinux.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/attachments/20160217/a42ca7ea/attachment.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Subject: Digest Footer
>
> _______________________________________________
> zfs-discuss mailing list
> zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org
> http://list.zfsonlinux.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/zfs-discuss
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of zfs-discuss Digest, Vol 10, Issue 76
> *******************************************
>



-- 
Systems Administrator
Center for Computational and Integrative Biology (CCIB)
http://ccib.camden.rutgers.edu/

Rutgers University - Science Building
315 Penn St.
Camden, NJ 08102

Telephone: (856) 225-6770
Fax:(856) 225-6312
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://list.zfsonlinux.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/attachments/20160217/2203e3b2/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the zfs-discuss mailing list