[zfs-discuss] ZFS on single drive?

Omen Wild omen at mandarb.com
Tue Jan 5 16:56:38 EST 2016

Quoting Alexandru Guzu via zfs-discuss <zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org> on Tue, Jan 05 16:31:

> Is ZFS really so ill-suited for single disk usage? I have not found such
> warnings about BTRFS or other filesystems, yet only ZFS seems mature enough
> for my preference.

I run it on my work desktop with two single disk pools. It's a bummer
when a sector goes bad and I can't get to a file, but I would rather know
the data is bad than silently read bad data. This has happened twice now,
both in backups, so I just wiped the bad file and let it re-copy.

> Would it be possible to set copies=3 for all metadata for example to
> protect against bad sectors?

By default ZFS already stores an extra copy of metadata.

I think copies= controls the copies of data. Bumping it up does increase
metadata redundancy, but I don't see a way to only increase metadata
copies.

--
Humor is a drug which it's the fashion to abuse.