[zfs-discuss] zfs in ubuntu 15.10

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Tue Jan 12 04:43:11 EST 2016

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 3:53 PM, Sam Van den Eynde via zfs-discuss
<zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org> wrote:
> As ZoL is still evolving quickly, what is the mailing list's opinion of
> having the latest and greatest release from ppa vs. what Canonical decides
> to ship?
>
> E.g. if Canonical decides to freeze the zfs version per LTS release, would
> it be an issue if one would be stuck with v0.6.5 for 2 years?

The generic answer would be "ppa always has its place". Other software
like nginx, php, and even lxc (which canonical invest lots of
developers on) has ppa for latest stable/dev, in addition to the
version included in the distro.

I imagine that canonical would probably backport SOME critical fixes
so that 0.6.4.x would be usable, but PERSONALLY I'd stick with the
stable ppa.

If in the future Darik decide to drop support (or doesn't provide)
Xenial ppa, I'd steal his latest work and create my own ppa for latest
zfs stable :)

--
Fajar