[zfs-discuss] Trying to install ZFS on CentOS 7.2-1511 (Solved)

Rich Teer rich at richjen.com
Wed Jan 13 13:31:32 EST 2016

On Fri, 8 Jan 2016, Richard Scott wrote:

> A Minimal install won't have included any development tools i.e. compiler to
> build the zfs module.

That was indeed the problem (strange, though, that the ZFS package installation
didn't blow up)!

For reference (and repeatability), here's what I did:

The first step was to install CentOS 7.2-1511.  I selected Minimal install plus
Development tools.  I had originally selected just Minimal install, which was
the source of my problems.

Then I executed the following:

# yum update   (Optional, ZFS works with and without this step)
# yum install epel-release
# yum install http://archive.zfsonlinux.org/epel/zfs-release.el7.noarch.rpm
# yum install kernel-devel zfs
# init 6

Once the machine came back up, I issued a zpool status, which (correctly)
said that there were no pools available.

I'm going to play some more, then get to gribs with booting from a ZFS
root.  Thanks to everyone for their help!

--
Rich Teer, Publisher
Vinylphile Magazine