[zfs-discuss] unable to boot zfs pool using dracut and systemd

Walter Parker walterp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 03:19:20 EST 2016

Given how ZFS handles pools, if you are worried about running out of space
in / or /usr, why not set quotas? I find that I worry much less about
partition sizing since moving to ZFS.

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 1:48 PM, John Covici via zfs-discuss <

> It helps in administration and I have had no problems with it up till
> now, dracut works fine with this using lvm.  Also, it prevents runaway
> on / or /usr from bringing the system to a halt.
>
> Gordan Bobic via zfs-discuss <zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org> wrote:
>
> > Why on earth would you want to have /usr as a separate FS?
> >
> > On most modern Linux distros:
> >
> > /bin -> /usr/bin
> > /sbin -> /usr/sbin
> > /lib -> /usr/lib
> >
> > If that is the case on your distro (it is on mine) that means zfs and
> zpool
> > binaries are not available when it tries to mount /usr. In fact, no
> > binaries, systemd included, will be available, so there is no way
> anything
> > will work.
> >
> > Gordan
> >

> > On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 9:32 PM, John Covici via zfs-discuss <
> > zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi.  I have been trying to get a zpool into a state where I can have
> zfs
> > > as root  and /usr and other file systems, but Dracut does not play
> > > nice.  It will not find the pool, unless I omit the root= variable from
> > > the kernel command line and even then, it will not mount a separate
> /usr
> > > zfs dataset.  The fstab entry for that file system is
> > > rpool/usr /usr zfs defaults 0 2
> > >
> > > So, am I doing something wrong, or is Dracut broken or what?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
> > > How do
> > > you spend it?
> > >
> > >          John Covici
> > >          covici at ccs.covici.com

> --
> Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
> How do
> you spend it?
>
>          John Covici
>          covici at ccs.covici.com

The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of
zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.   -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis