[zfs-discuss] zfs-discuss Digest, Vol 9, Issue 48

Mikko Tanner mikko.tanner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 04:13:55 EST 2016

This is only true of systemd-infested distros. Things have been working
perfectly well for as long as I remember with separate filesystems. It
is only until systemd's lazy coding and invented problems that this has
become an issue.

Not supporting separate filesystems (aka stuffing most of the system in
/usr) is a faulty design choice. There is no compelling reason at all
why /usr should be necessary for early boot -- /bin and /sbin are there
for a reason. Diverting from the basic POSIX assumptions just for the
sake of appeasing a certain distro's design choices is fundamentally broken.

TL;DR - the issue here is systemd, nothing else.

BR,
Mikko Tanner