[zfs-discuss] Correct location for kernel modules?

John Allen johnbenallen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 07:41:33 EST 2016

On 19 January 2016 at 13:00, Fajar A. Nugraha via zfs-discuss <

> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 1:58 AM, John Covici via zfs-discuss <
> zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> John Allen via zfs-discuss <zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org> wrote:
>> > My questions are:
>> > - which of these directory hierarchies is correct for ZoL in Debian?
>>

> @John Allen:
> I don't think there's a "standard". modprobe would pick up anything under
> /lib/modules/KERNEL_VERSION
>
> For comparison purposes, using dkms way on stretch would put all 8 modules
> under /lib/modules/4.3.0-1-amd64/updates/dkms/

@Fajar
Thanks, this is very helpful.

I just checked another machine running Jessie with a standard installation
of spl-dkms and zfs-dkms, and this is exactly where the 8 modules were
installed.

My "testing" machine has the modules all over the place as a result of
various experiments. I guess I need to delete all these modules before I
continue, otherwise rebooting will always be an adventure.

As you mentioned in another message today, I see that spl-dkms 0.6.5.4 is
very recently available on testing and I think zfs-dkms 0.6.5.4 is not far
behind, so perhaps the problems with updating ZoL on Debian testing will
soon go away.

John

--
John Allen