[zfs-discuss] zfs and fstrim

Gordan Bobic gordan.bobic at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 09:41:18 EST 2016

There are a few options:

1.1) You don't
1.2) Leave untouched partition/space on a freshly secure-erased SSD so that
the SSD has more known untouched blocks to work with (under-provisioning),
and you don't worry about TRIM-ing.

2) Drop the SSD out of the array (make sure your redundancy is up to the
task), ATA secure erase it, re-add it, resilver. Space that isn't used will
be freshly trimmed. Repeat for all SSDs in the pool.

In most cases 1.1) is good enough as SSDs are internally adequately
overprovisioned to handle this reasonably well, especially ones based on
Sandforce controllers that internally compress and dedupe the data.

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 2:17 PM, John Covici via zfs-discuss <