[zfs-discuss] Ubuntu Root-on-ZFS

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Sun May 1 23:47:46 EDT 2016

On 04/25/2016 05:53 PM, Richard Laager wrote:
> As you may already know, I maintain a HOWTO for doing root-on-ZFS
> installs on Ubuntu:
>
> https://github.com/rlaager/zfs/wiki/HOWTO-install-Ubuntu-to-a-Native-ZFS-Root-Filesystem
>
> I'm proposing "merging" that back to upstream.

Here's a complete and specific merge proposal for consideration.

0) Someone grants me permission to edit zfsonlinux/zfs/wiki.

1) I merge my existing HOWTO into zfsonlinux/zfs/wiki.

My proposed merge can be checkout out locally as follows:
git clone https://github.com/rlaager/zfs.wiki.git

Or, you can view this in a browser. It's the changes on this page, plus
the linked HOWTO:
https://github.com/rlaager/zfs/wiki/Ubuntu

The intention of the bulleted list is that there will be multiple
versions listed, when the current Ubuntu release is a non-LTS release.

Note that I *would not* include the
HOWTO-install-Ubuntu-to-a-Native-ZFS-Root-Filesystem.md page in the
upstream wiki. That *would* be kept at github.com/rlaager/zfs/wiki for
anyone using an old link.

2) I update zfsonlinux/pkg-zfs/wiki. (Note: pkg-zfs, not zfs)

2.1) I replace the following pages with links to the "Ubuntu 16.04 Root
on ZFS" page:
https://github.com/zfsonlinux/pkg-zfs/wiki/HOWTO-install-Ubuntu-to-a-Native-ZFS-Root-Filesystem
https://github.com/zfsonlinux/pkg-zfs/wiki/HOWTO-install-Ubuntu-14.04---15.04-to-a-Native-ZFS-Root-Filesystem

2.2) I replace the following page with a link to
"Ubuntu-16.04-Root-on-ZFS#step-7-configure-swap".
https://github.com/zfsonlinux/pkg-zfs/wiki/HOWTO-use-a-zvol-as-a-swap-device

2.3) I remove the links to those three pages from:
https://github.com/zfsonlinux/pkg-zfs/wiki/

--
Richard