[zfs-discuss] Bus error for long-running calculations on remote ZFS file system (?)

Florian Oppermann Florian.Oppermann at itp.uni-hannover.de
Wed May 4 09:17:35 EDT 2016

On Do, 2016-04-28 at 11:22 -0600, D. R. Evans via zfs-discuss wrote:
> Over the years, I have found that intermittent bus errors have always been
> caused by hardware problems. (Sometimes not necessarily discovered by any kind
> of diagnostic, but by swapping out suspect hardware.)
>
> To ask the obvious question: is the memory on your server ECC memory?

Shame on me! We were already planning to switch to hardware with ECC
memory (it was stupid not to do this in the first place) and did this
last week.

The bus errors were not reproducible afterwards! :-)

I still don’t get how memory errors on the ZFS server can lead to bus
errors on the clients, but I’m glad that the problem is gone.

Btw: We also switched from Ubuntu 14.04 (trusty) to 16.04 (xenial) and
use the zfs package from the repository now.

Best regards,
Florian