[zfs-discuss] Best process for recovering a snapshot and not losing the latest version

Ruben Wisniewski ruben at vfn-nrw.de
Thu May 19 00:51:25 EDT 2016

Actually you don't want to rollback if you expect any data left. The rollback feature is used when you tried something which doesn't work or want a clean state before retrying an operation.

In any other situation you want to clone the specific snapshot which was done before the event happened and than promote it. After this operation you can just run off the machine from this cloned snapshot without affecting the other snapshots or the old running state which was effected.

Since you don't copy any data but just reorganize the data hold by the snapshot, both operations should be completed in minutes.

Best regards

Ruben