[zfs-discuss] ZFS Does Not Free Up Space

Hajo Möller dasjoe at gmail.com
Sat May 28 02:53:04 EDT 2016

ZFS module parameter spa_slop_shift's default value changed from 6 to 5 a
few releases ago, change it back to 6 to return to the previous behavior.

See man zfs-module-parameters:

*spa_slop_shift* (int)
Normally, we don't allow the last 3.2% (1/(2^spa_slop_shift)) of space in
the pool to be consumed. This ensures that we don't run the pool completely
out of space, due to unaccounted changes (e.g. to the MOS). It also limits
the worst-case time to allocate space. If we have less than this amount of
free space, most ZPL operations (e.g. write, create) will return ENOSPC.
Default value: 5

--
Regards,
Hajo Möller