[zfs-discuss] ZFS 0.7.4 not mounting on Ubuntu 16.04.3

Gena Makhomed gmm at csdoc.com
Sat Dec 16 02:25:57 EST 2017

On 16.12.2017 1:56, Bryn Hughes via zfs-discuss wrote:

> I just did some testing today and I can reproduce what Nathan was
> seeing.  The fix suggested below doesn't appear to work; there is no
> zfs-import.target included in the packages on the PPA.

Nathan was seeing what zfs-import.target present on his system.

See it at /usr/lib/systemd/system/zfs-import.target

http://list.zfsonlinux.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2017-December/030069.html

But looking around with tab-complete:
root at mc-3015-202:~# systemctl status zfs<TAB>
zfs-import-cache.service  zfs-import-scan.service   zfs-import.target
        zfs-mount.service         zfs-share.service         zfs.target
               zfs-zed.service

> I definitely see
> the same behaviour as Nathan - zfs-mount fails with errors around
> modules not being loaded (though the modules are included in the
> initramfs). After boot up when I log in I see the modules have loaded
> successfully, but too late in the process.

Because you need to manually enable zfs-import.target:

$ sudo systemctl enable zfs-import.target

# for f in /usr/lib/systemd/system/zfs* ; do systemctl status $(basename
$f) | fgrep preset ; done
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/zfs-import-cache.service;
enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/zfs-import-scan.service;
disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/zfs-import.target; enabled;
vendor preset: disabled)
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/zfs-mount.service; enabled;
vendor preset: enabled)
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/zfs-share.service; enabled;
vendor preset: enabled)
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/zfs.target; enabled; vendor
preset: enabled)
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/zfs-zed.service; enabled;
vendor preset: enabled)

--
Best regards,
  Gena