[zfs-discuss] Flash to IT mode after build

dag dg dagofthedofg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 09:30:47 EDT 2018

I have a ZFS storage pool already built, but it was done before I
fully understood some of the finer details of HBAs and related RAID
cards including the difference between IR mode firmware and IT mode
firmware. I have 2 x LSI 9311-8i HBAs that are up and running my
current ZFS pool that I believe came flashed with IR mode firmware.
The disks are all set to JBOD I believe and appear to be getting
passed through to the OS though I can't be sure.

My concern at this point is whether I should flash the firmware over
to IT mode or if that will cause more trouble that it's worth. In my
performance tests so far my current state seems solid and stable but
the fact that in my research I missed this kind of detail has me a bit
uncertain of the long term outcome.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Dag