[zfs-discuss] ZFS package on Raspbian 9

ray vantassle rayvantassle at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 08:56:26 EDT 2018

"When a new kernel release is made, you will need the headers that match
that kernel version. It can take several weeks for the repo to be updated
to reflect the latest kernel version."

After going round the mulberry bush, I got it inatalled.
There's a bug in the configuration file of spl version 0.6.5.9, so it won't
configure and therefore won't build on kernel 4.14.32-v7+. So the make
fails.  Somewhere about checking "vfs_getattr".  Probably would work if you
fixed the configure file.

First tried downloading the latest deb files, zfs-dkms_0.7.6-1_all.deb and
zfsutils-linux_0.7.6-1~bpo9+1_armhf.deb and installing them,  but
installing one removes the other.

Finally got it working.   What a PITA.
0) There is no "/boot/config-*" file, so it doesn't know what kernel(s) are
installed.  Fix: sudo touch /boot/config-$(uname -r)
1) Add "deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main contrib"
to /etc/apt/sources.list
2) apt-get update.  But that will give you a key error, so
3) sudo apt-key adv --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7638D0442B90D010
4) but a program is missing, so first do:
5) sudo apt-get install dirmngr
6) Then:  sudo synaptic
and select zfs-dkms and zfsutils-linux, but you have to force the
_0.7.6-1~bpo9+1_armhf version. (You can probably convince apt-get to do
this.)
7) Finally, let it install everything.  This takes a long time.
8) For some reason it doesn't automatically load zfs module, so I manually
did "sudo /sbin/modprobe zfs"

9) Now:
pi at raspberrypi:~$ zfs list ; zpool status
no datasets available
no pools available
(I didn't bother to create any pools.)

But I still think that zfsonlinux won't work very well on a PI.  zfs-fuse
is a better bet.  I have zfs-fuse running on a pogoplug with 256 MB of
memory.