[zfs-discuss] ZFS package on Raspbian 9

mabi mabi at protonmail.ch
Mon Apr 9 14:49:37 EDT 2018

Well done! I have continued trying things out yesterday but somehow I messed up as I removed some packages, especially the linux kernel packages and had to reboot at some stage but my Pi never came back up and it's in a remote location :( so I just abandoned for now.

So if I understand correctly based on your step by step process you managed to install the SPL/ZFS packages from the backports of strech which installs the newer version of ZFS 0.7.6. Why did you have to use the stretch-backports? does the packages in stretch not work correctly? That would be then ZFS version 0.6.5.9.

A year ago I compiled 0.6.5.9 directly from git on Raspbian 8 and could use it as a test system without and big issues on two external USB SSD disks (mirror). You don't go over ~25 MB/s transfer rate but for my testing it's enough. Also a few ZFS module parameters need to be tuned but I can say that it runs stable enough for me. And now with the newer Pi model with better CPU and the newer ZFS version 0.7.6 I think I might not even need any tuning at all.