[zfs-discuss] ZFS on RAID-5 array

H agents at meddatainc.com
Thu Apr 12 18:46:08 EDT 2018

On April 12, 2018 3:34:46 PM EDT, Gordan Bobic via zfs-discuss <zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org> wrote:
>On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 8:31 PM, Alex Chekholko <alex at calicolabs.com>
>wrote:
>
>> "Can you illustrate a specific case where ZFS on RAID5 will yield
>better
>> performance than RAIDZ of same geometry, that is NOT dependent on
>ensuring
>> good alignment as per what I described?"
>> Yeah, in the case where you are provided LUNs you don't control and
>can't
>> run your own disks :)  I've run ZFS on systems where the storage was
>> provisioned off some enterprise SAN and buying whiteboxes was not an
>option.
>>

>Except that isn't an answer to the specific question that I asked.
>

>> Even if the OP controls their FC array, it may not have an option to
>> present each disk separately. And buying new hardware may not be an
>option.
>>

>The OP was asking for pros and cons, which implies that he has a
>choice.

That is correct, I do have a choice. It's a FC array with 15 disks that I control and just configured as two RAID-5 arrays spanning over 13 disks with two hot-spares. I have not begun using it yet and can easily reconfigure it.

Most posts until now seem to suggest a JBOD with ZFS on it and presumably setting asides two disks as hot-spares (if you can do that with ZFS.)