[zfs-discuss] ZFS on RAID-5 array

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Fri Apr 13 13:57:40 EDT 2018

Il 13-04-2018 19:23 Pascal Meunier via zfs-discuss ha scritto:
> This is on a Dell with an HBA330 (no RAID support;  reported by
> omreport as "HBA330
> Mini" and by lspci as an LSI SAS3008).  In the thread "Slow read
> performance", it was
> suggested to force the write cache on using sdparm.  Is it better to
> let ZFS manage it
> and not use sdparm?

If I remember correctly, DELL H200/300/330 automatically disable the
disk private cache.
You should be able to permanently re-enable it via the BIOS/UEFI
configuration utility or, at the very least, via OpenManage (you don't
need the full OpenManage stack, rather the "omconfig storage" CLI part).
Anyway, I think that even hdparm/sdparm can re-enable the disk caching.

I definitely suggest you to re-enable caching, as ZFS flushes it at
critical points to prevent any data corruption due to bad caching/write
reordering.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico