[zfs-discuss] Sharing ZFS datasets via iSCSI

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon Apr 16 08:15:31 EDT 2018

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 6:48 PM, Makrand via zfs-discuss
<zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am new to ZFS on Linux. Testing things on a vritual box VM.
>
> I am wondering if its possible to share zfs Dataset via iSCSI? I know one
> can do same for zVOL and present it to the remote system as disk via iSCSI.
> Can we share zfs dataset as iSCSI LUN on the remote system? If yes, what
> would be the method?

iscsi => block device.

you can share:
- zvol (which you know already)
- a file on zfs dataset, treated as virtual block device (though in
most cases you'd want zvol instead)
- disks with zfspool on it, which can be imported (first the disk
using iscsi, then the pool on top of it) on another SINGLE host
(assuming you currently do NOT import the pool in the host owning the
disk).

If you're looking for 'a magic zfs cluster shared on multiple hosts',
then no, it's not possible. The closest thing is probably nfs share
backed by zfs.

There's also https://docs.gluster.org/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/Gluster%20On%20ZFS/
, but probably not what you want.

> My final lab setup storage would involve running ZFS on centos6. (using cent
> 6 coz my server is pretty old)

Any system capable of running zfs should also be capable of running
centos 7 (personally I'd wait a bit and use ubuntu 18.04 instead,
which has zfs-0.7.x built in, without needing compiling / external
repositories). Unless you're adding zfs to an existing c6 system, I
don't see why you'd want to stick with it.

--
Fajar