[zfs-discuss] Sharing ZFS datasets via iSCSI

Makrand makrandsanap at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 08:59:14 EDT 2018

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 5:45 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha via zfs-discuss <

> On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 6:48 PM, Makrand via zfs-discuss
> <zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am new to ZFS on Linux. Testing things on a vritual box VM.
> >
> > I am wondering if its possible to share zfs Dataset via iSCSI? I know one
> > can do same for zVOL and present it to the remote system as disk via
> iSCSI.
> > Can we share zfs dataset as iSCSI LUN on the remote system? If yes, what
> > would be the method?
>
> iscsi => block device.
>
> you can share:
> - zvol (which you know already)
> - a file on zfs dataset, treated as virtual block device (though in
> most cases you'd want zvol instead)

​Noted. So if you're presenting LUN to remote system, better go with zvol
which is block device. BTW in my case I need to foramt that LUN on remote
system as ext4 FS. Hope this doesn't have any performance issue.
The remote system here is Centos+KVM host. I am not supposed to install any
zfs stuff there to make zfs FS
​ etc.​

> - disks with zfspool on it, which can be imported (first the disk
> using iscsi, then the pool on top of it) on another SINGLE host
> (assuming you currently do NOT import the pool in the host owning the
> disk).
>
> If you're looking for 'a magic zfs cluster shared on multiple hosts',
> then no, it's not possible. The closest thing is probably nfs share
> backed by zfs.
>
> There's also https://docs.gluster.org/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/Glu
> ster%20On%20ZFS/
> , but probably not what you want.
>

> > My final lab setup storage would involve running ZFS on centos6. (using
> cent
> > 6 coz my server is pretty old)
>
> Any system capable of running zfs should also be capable of running
> centos 7 (personally I'd wait a bit and use ubuntu 18.04 instead,
> which has zfs-0.7.x built in, without needing compiling / external
> repositories). Unless you're adding zfs to an existing c6 system, I
> don't see why you'd want to stick with it.

​
Its HP proliant DL 580 G5. This thing has an allergy to using centos7. The
two P400 Raid card on this thing just won't boot centos7 without some
tweaking. I need to build and handover this setup to the team which is
comfortable with Centos only. So no Ubuntu as of now. BTW, its not that
hard to get latest zfs-0.7.8 running on centos 6.

​