[zfs-discuss] cannot import 'home': I/O error Destroy and re-create the pool from a backup source

Gregor Kopka (@zfs-discuss) zfs-discuss at kopka.net
Sat Apr 21 16:57:13 EDT 2018

Am 21.04.2018 um 19:36 schrieb Anton Gubar'kov via zfs-discuss:
> I have no further backups
> I would like to recover this pool as it contains some valuable data I
> cannot reproduce ever (video archive).
1) Power down the system
2) obtain 6 new drives of same or bigger size
3) dd/dd_rescue the old to the new drives
4) disconnect the original drives
5) do any recovery attempts on the copies

After reviving the pool (getting back access to your data) you can
either revive the other set of drives with the method that was
successful on the copies or create a fresh pool out of them, preferable
on another machine, to have a second backup.

As a note for after the problem has been solved: Never use zfs send
-R/-p or zfs recv -F when dealing with backups (as these are able to
destroy more than you want).

Gregor