[zfs-discuss] Help with debugging pool import problem

Raghuram Devarakonda draghuram at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 12:19:49 EDT 2018

Hi,

I am looking for some help in debugging a problem with pool import and
any suggestions are highly appreciated.

First off, this is what I see when I try to import:

-----
# zpool import
   pool: testpool
     id: 14332205498532543363
  state: UNAVAIL
 status: One or more devices contains corrupted data.
 action: The pool cannot be imported due to damaged devices or data.
   see: http://zfsonlinux.org/msg/ZFS-8000-5E
 config:

        testpool     UNAVAIL  insufficient replicas
          sdb       UNAVAIL  corrupted data
-----

An important point here is that the device "sdb" is a block device
backed by my own driver. I have previously exported this pool which
didn't report any errors. Moreover, "zdb -l /dev/sdb1" properly shows
all the labels (all 4 labels are identical). I have verified that the
data being returned by reads is accurate (I compared with the data
that was written previously) but obviously, there is something that is
tripping up "zpool import".

I completely understand that the real problem could be in my code but
I am looking for suggestions on how to debug pool import issues. If I
can get more specific error (something beyond "corrupted data"), that
would help me in narrowing down the root cause.

My environment: Cent OS 7.4 with updated kernel (4.16) + ZFS 0.7.8.

Thanks in advance,
Raghu