[zfs-discuss] Resilver a full pool

Daniel Bayerdorffer danielb at numberall.com
Mon Apr 23 12:55:23 EDT 2018

Hello,

I have the following pool setup

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
bpool DEGRADED 0 0 0
mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
sda ONLINE 0 0 0
sdb ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror-1 DEGRADED 0 0 0
replacing-0 DEGRADED 0 0 0
sdc OFFLINE 0 0 0
sdd ONLINE 0 0 0 (resilvering)
sde ONLINE 0 0 0

The pool is virtually full with 10.5TB storage and 50GB free. I'm trying to upgrade the drives to double size. I offlined sda, then replaced it physically and with the zpool replace command. That resilvered in about 12 hours.

Now I'm trying replace sdc with sdd and it keeps restarting the resilver process. This has been going on for 48 hours now.

It's a backup pool that has snapshots sent to it every 15 minutes. I thought that was the problem, so I disabled the zfs send cron jobs. That was yesterday, and the resilver still keeps restarting.

Do I need to delete some snapshots, and empty the pool some? Or is there another potential problem?

Thanks,
Daniel

Daniel Bayerdorffer, VP danielb at numberall.com
Numberall Stamp & Tool Co., Inc. www.numberall.com