[zfs-discuss] cannot import 'home': I/O error Destroy and re-create the pool from a backup source

Anton Gubar'kov anton.gubarkov at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 14:20:39 EDT 2018

Dear friends,
I still fail to understand the meaning of CKSUM errors on radiz0 vdev
and pool levels. Can someone explain this to me? Before I understand
these numbers I discard them as non credible (noise).
When it comes to CKSUM errors on drives, I have 2 suspects: cables and
drives. I can't imagine that controller/RAM issues affect only 2 drives
and leave other 4 intact (0 errors).I'll start examining these once my
read verify of backups is over.Can anyone suggest a torture
(read/write/verify-by-compare or checksum) test for the drives? I was
thinking of creating a new pool on the defective drive and placing a
zvol on it and then running badblocks on the zvol. But this method
won't produce a list of bad blocks, but I would like to have them.
Seagate support suggested their non-destructive Seatools. I suspect
it's their warranty procedure and they rely on either SMART or other
driver embedded error reporting not serving my purpose.
Anton.