[zfs-discuss] L2ARC and SLOG on HW RAID with writeback cache

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Fri Apr 27 15:18:15 EDT 2018

Hi all,
given a system with a proper, writeback-enabled RAID controller which
can both create a classical array on some disks *and* passthrough some
other disks, is it a good idea to place L2ARC and SLOG on the HW array?

My reasoning is:
- using CentOS I would like to avoid ZFS on root, so I need some sort of
mirrored system partition (ie: MDRAID or HW array);
- an HW RAID1 mirror provide resiliency and very easy replacement of a
failed disk (ie: disk replacement is completely transparent both for the
OS and the L2ARC/SLOG);
- a writeback-enabled RAID card give very low write latency, which is
ideal for SLOG;
- data stay on SLOG for a short time only and are read on emergency
recovery only, meaning the probability of an unrecoverable read error is
very low;
- by using SSD for the system disks, I can partition them for L2ARC use;
- any failed/uncorrect L2ARC read will be trasparently redirected to the
main pool;
- the main pool has full ZFS protection against bit root and the likes.

On the other hand, by using a software RAID1 array for the OS partition
only, presenting the other SSD partitions directly to ZFS, I can stripe
the L2ARC partition for added cache space (which is the solution I am
commonly adopting). Moreover, I trust MDRAID way more the HW blackboxes.

Any thoughts?

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico