[zfs-discuss] Instructions for refreshing EFI boot entries running Ubuntu 16.04 with zfs root

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Sat Apr 28 19:19:43 EDT 2018

On 04/28/2018 01:55 PM, Richard Yao via zfs-discuss wrote:
> On Apr 27, 2018, at 4:03 PM, Nick Crabtree wrote:
>
>> I’ve just run apt-get autoremove on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS server which
>> has had the effect of updating my Grub boot entries.
>>
>> I’m running a zfs root with a three-way mirror, with three identical
>> FAT boot partitions on each disk as per the instructions which used to
>> be on the zfsonlinux website. I was looking for a reminder of how to
>> refresh the Grub / EFI boot entries on the other two of my three-way
>> mirror boot partitions which aren’t visible to the running operating
>> system (using dd if I recall correctly). I’m sure they were on the
>> zfsonlinux website when I last looked (probably last year) but all I
>> can see now are instructions for 18.04 and they don’t seem to discuss
>> an EFI boot of a mirrored root …
>>
>> Are the old web pages archived under git somewhere so I can get access
>> to them?
These Ubuntu root-on-ZFS instructions are part of the wiki, not the website:
https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/wiki/Ubuntu-18.04-Root-on-ZFS

The wiki is also a git repository:
https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs.wiki.git

You are correct that I removed the 16.04 instructions. My policy has
been to support the latest release and the latest LTS release. With the
release of 18.04, 16.04 is no longer the latest LTS release. I'm open to
suggestion of changes in this.

There is almost no difference between the 16.04 and the 18.04
instructions in this regard. If you're having trouble with GRUB
detecting device names, run "export ZPOOL_VDEV_NAME_PATH=YES" (no
quotes) in your shell before you start.

Here is a complete list of actual differences, beside obvious changing
of the release name and version in download links, sources.list, etc.

16.04 -> 17.10:
  - /etc/network/interfaces.d/* becomes /etc/netplan/*.yaml
  - No need to explicitly install ubuntu-minimal
  - No need for /etc/udev/rules.d/99-local-crypt.rules, the
    /dev/luks1 symlink, or ZPOOL_VDEV_NAME_PATH=YES because
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1527727
    is fixed.

17.10 -> 18.04:
  - Drop eCryptfs as an encryption option.
  - Set RESUME=none in /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
  - Use ZFS_INITRD_PRE_MOUNTROOT_SLEEP=X instead of rootdelay=X
    in the troubleshooting notes for LSI cards.

--
Richard