[zfs-discuss] L2ARC and SLOG on HW RAID with writeback cache

Durval Menezes durval.menezes at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 09:32:08 EDT 2018

Hello Gandalf, Gordan and Steve,

On Sun, Apr 29, 2018, 08:49 Steve Thompson via zfs-discuss <

> On Sun, 29 Apr 2018, Gordan Bobic via zfs-discuss wrote:
>
> > This is diametrically opposed to my experience.
>
> Mine too.

+1 to that. I've used mdadm for the best part of 10 years and became quite
the  expert on it (if I say so myself), but even so it had issues, to say
nothing of the massive effort required to sysadmin it properly.

Migrating to ZFS, starting 8 years ago (and running it first in parallel,
then exclusively after migrating every mdadm array) is like comparing silk
to sandpaper: everything runs much smoother on ZFS, with very little issues
and much less effort.

I'm curious about how Gandalf's experience could be so radically different.

Cheers,
--
   Durval.