[zfs-discuss] Instructions for refreshing EFI boot entries running Ubuntu 16.04 with zfs root

Nick Crabtree nickcrabtree at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 12:39:33 EDT 2018

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018, 00:19 Richard Laager via zfs-discuss, <

> On 04/28/2018 01:55 PM, Richard Yao via zfs-discuss wrote:
> > On Apr 27, 2018, at 4:03 PM, Nick Crabtree wrote:
> >
> >> I’ve just run apt-get autoremove on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS server which
> >> has had the effect of updating my Grub boot entries.
> >>
> >> I’m running a zfs root with a three-way mirror, with three identical
> >> FAT boot partitions on each disk as per the instructions which used to
> >> be on the zfsonlinux website. I was looking for a reminder of how to
> >> refresh the Grub / EFI boot entries on the other two of my three-way
> >> mirror boot partitions which aren’t visible to the running operating
> >> system (using dd if I recall correctly). I’m sure they were on the
> >> zfsonlinux website when I last looked (probably last year) but all I
> >> can see now are instructions for 18.04 and they don’t seem to discuss
> >> an EFI boot of a mirrored root …
> >>
> >> Are the old web pages archived under git somewhere so I can get access
> >> to them?
> These Ubuntu root-on-ZFS instructions are part of the wiki, not the
> website:
> https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/wiki/Ubuntu-18.04-Root-on-ZFS
>
> The wiki is also a git repository:
> https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs.wiki.git
>
> You are correct that I removed the 16.04 instructions. My policy has
> been to support the latest release and the latest LTS release. With the
> release of 18.04, 16.04 is no longer the latest LTS release. I'm open to
> suggestion of changes in this.

I would suggest the Ubuntu release support policy should apply:
"Standard Ubuntu releases are supported for 9 months and Ubuntu LTS
(long-term support) releases are supported for five years on both the
desktop and the server. During that time, there will be security fixes and
other critical updates."

The expectation when I installed 16.04 on ZFS-on-root was that I wouldn't
need to upgrade Ubuntu version on this server until April 2021. I'd agree
one wouldn't expect users to be performing a fresh down-level installation,
but the instructions are still useful reference for maintenance, especially
as things diverge.

There is almost no difference between the 16.04 and the 18.04
> instructions in this regard. If you're having trouble with GRUB
> detecting device names, run "export ZPOOL_VDEV_NAME_PATH=YES" (no
> quotes) in your shell before you start.
>
> Here is a complete list of actual differences, beside obvious changing
> of the release name and version in download links, sources.list, etc.
>
> 16.04 -> 17.10:
>   - /etc/network/interfaces.d/* becomes /etc/netplan/*.yaml
>   - No need to explicitly install ubuntu-minimal
>   - No need for /etc/udev/rules.d/99-local-crypt.rules, the
>     /dev/luks1 symlink, or ZPOOL_VDEV_NAME_PATH=YES because
>     https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1527727
>     is fixed.
>
> 17.10 -> 18.04:
>   - Drop eCryptfs as an encryption option.
>   - Set RESUME=none in /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
>   - Use ZFS_INITRD_PRE_MOUNTROOT_SLEEP=X instead of rootdelay=X
>     in the troubleshooting notes for LSI cards.

Thanks for the git repository link; I've found what I was looking for
(section 6.8b) and actually it is indeed still there in the 18.04
instructions; apologies for somehow having managed to not notice it.

--
Nick