[zfs-discuss] L2ARC and SLOG on HW RAID with writeback cache

Richard Yao ryao at gentoo.org
Sun Apr 29 18:02:58 EDT 2018

On Apr 29, 2018, at 5:51 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan.bobic at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Another option is to put / on a zvol, have an initramfs import the pool and then mount / from the zvol. That is not very common, but I am told that Ubuntu/Debian users do it.
>

> It's generic and works on most distros. I've been using ZFS for rootfs for years.

By rootfs on zfs, do you mean on a zfs posix filesystem or a zfs zvol?

I don’t think I have ever added support for / on a zvol into Gentoo’s genkernel. It won’t generate the /dev/zvol links off the top of my head. It has always been a low priority. Sayabon’s fork *might* support it though. It probably works on dracut though.