[zfs-discuss] L2ARC and SLOG on HW RAID with writeback cache

Richard Yao ryao at gentoo.org
Sun Apr 29 18:07:57 EDT 2018

> On Apr 29, 2018, at 6:02 PM, Richard Yao via zfs-discuss <zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org> wrote:
>
> On Apr 29, 2018, at 5:51 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan.bobic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Another option is to put / on a zvol, have an initramfs import the pool and then mount / from the zvol. That is not very common, but I am told that Ubuntu/Debian users do it.
>>

>> It's generic and works on most distros. I've been using ZFS for rootfs for years.
>
> By rootfs on zfs, do you mean on a zfs posix filesystem or a zfs zvol?

Just to be clear, let’s exclude zpool nesting from this question (please tell me you don’t nest for your rootfs without a VM boundary between the upper zpool and lower zvol). That means no zpool on zvol case where both possibilities are simultaneously satisfied. The possibility that someone might do that occurred to me right after sending my previous email. :/