[zfs-discuss] Whole-disk ZFS and grub booting

Richard Allen belperite at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 08:39:05 EST 2018

Hi everyone!

A few years back now, I followed the Jessie version of the excellent guide
here:

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/wiki/Debian-Stretch-Root-on-ZFS

This was before the current advice to partition the disks, so I had
installed the beta version of grub that was recommended and went through
various invocations of grub-install until I eventually got the machine
booting off a whole-disk pool.

All was well and good, until I recently upgraded the pool with 0.7 of ZFS.
No booting :(

Trying to install grub again using the previous brute force method just
didn't work, and not wanting to rebuild the entire machine I just stuck a
USB stick in it with grub on there.

My questions are - are we any closer to getting whole-disk booting with
grub on the same disks? What are the main issues that cause it not to work?
Does it just need more involvement from the grub devs?

Cheers,

Richard