[zfs-discuss] Whole-disk ZFS and grub booting

Richard Allen belperite at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 08:39:05 EST 2018

Hi everyone!

A few years back now, I followed the Jessie version of the excellent guide

This was before the current advice to partition the disks, so I had
installed the beta version of grub that was recommended and went through
various invocations of grub-install until I eventually got the machine
booting off a whole-disk pool.

All was well and good, until I recently upgraded the pool with 0.7 of ZFS.
No booting :(

Trying to install grub again using the previous brute force method just
didn't work, and not wanting to rebuild the entire machine I just stuck a
USB stick in it with grub on there.

My questions are - are we any closer to getting whole-disk booting with
grub on the same disks? What are the main issues that cause it not to work?
Does it just need more involvement from the grub devs?