[zfs-discuss] CPU for ZFS compression

Bradley Merchant bmerchant at raidinc.com
Fri Feb 2 09:35:44 EST 2018

I suppose it should also be noted that if you are looking to deploy this soon, the C62x chipset QAT is not currently supported. Driver developers for the QAT product have not yet released the needed kernel API.

It is worthwhile to mention that if gzip data compression is important to you,
you can get an Intel "Quick Assist Technology" (QAT) PCI hardware accelerator
for deflate de/compression and SSL network:

https://01.org/intel-quickassist-technology
https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Intel-QuickAssist-Adapter-8950-cryptographic-accelerator/3767048.aspx
https://store.netgate.com/ADI/QuickAssist8955.aspx

The ZFS QAT support was included in the ZoL 0.7.0 release, but does not yet
accelerate the ZFS crypto feature in 0.8 (though there is AES hardware support
in Xeon CPUs).

There is also optionally a faster QAT adapter in the C625-C628 chipsets:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11544/intel-skylake-ep-vs-amd-epyc-7000-cpu-battle-of-the-decade/9

Cheers, Andreas

(full disclosure, I work for Intel and worked with the QAT developers to add
support for QAT to ZFS)