[zfs-discuss] CPU for ZFS compression

Andreas Dilger adilger at dilger.ca
Fri Feb 2 14:12:00 EST 2018

On Feb 2, 2018, at 7:35 AM, Bradley Merchant <bmerchant at raidinc.com> wrote:

> I suppose it should also be noted that if you are looking to deploy this soon, the C62x chipset QAT is not currently supported. Driver developers for the QAT product have not yet released the needed kernel API.

I'm not really in the loop about specific chipset support, but it should be
noted that because of potential GPL licensing issues ZFS does not use the
kernel QAT drivers, but rather links directly to the QAT library (BSD) at build
time.  That _may_ mean that C62x QAT works with ZFS even if it isn't supported
by the kernel yet.  Of course, if the QAT library itself doesn't support C62x
yet, then that won't help, but may be of interest to some people.

Cheers, Andreas