[zfs-discuss] Optane devices, new Metadata Allocation Class feature

ashford at accs.com ashford at accs.com
Sun Feb 4 13:30:23 EST 2018

On 2018-02-04 10:35, Ted Cabeen wrote:
> On 2/4/2018 8:42 AM, Peter Ashford via zfs-discuss wrote:
>> On 2018-02-04 02:00, Durval Menezes via zfs-discuss wrote:
>>> Hello Andreas, Hetz,
>>> Agreed, Optane would be perfect for dedicated ZIL.
>> I don't believe that any system has two Optane slots, so this ZIL
>> probably can't be mirrored for improved reliability.
> Optane is available in a PCIe card format.  I have a system with dual
> Optane cards (one per pool on a two-pool system), and it works great.

While it is absolutely true that Optane is available in a standard PCI-E
card (the smallest of which is 280GB for $400), the original reference
(from Andreas Dilger) was to the M.2 format Optanes (16GB and 32GB for
$60 and $120 respectively).  That's a HUGE difference, especially for
someone who's trying to not waste space (presumably to save money).

Apparently I trimmed a but too much from the post I quoted.  Sorry for
the confusion.

Peter Ashford