[zfs-discuss] Importing from multiple vdev files containing same pool data

Raghuram Devarakonda draghuram at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 11:38:30 EST 2018

I am trying to understand semantics of pool importing and hope that someone
can help me.

Assume that a pool has a single vdev backed by a file ("vdev_src"). After
doing "zfs send" to this pool, I have exported it. Now, let us say that I
copied the vdev file two times ("vdev_dest1", "vdev_dest2"). I can
successfully import the pool from "vdev_dest1" but after that, I won't be
able to import from "vdev_dest2". This is presumably because "vdev_dest2"
contains same pool name and ID as that in "vdev_dest1".

Is there any way to "patch" or "fix" the file "vdev_dest2"  so that it can
be imported from? Note that I don't need to import it using the same pool
as source. I only care about the actual data in the vdev file.

Any help is greatly appreciated.