[zfs-discuss] ZED Kicking out Drives

Toby Darling toby at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 23 06:35:44 EST 2018

On 18/01/18 13:20, Chris Dos via zfs-discuss wrote:
> I'm having an issue with ZED kicking drives out of my vdev.  There is some
> kind of problem going on with either the SAS3 backplanes, LSI card, or the
> cable as I am seeing these in my dmesg
> blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdv, sector 4605788632

I saw similar errors with a bunch of new disks that had disk level
protection enabled. Check smartctl output for a line resembling
Formatted with type 2 protection:

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor:               SEAGATE
Product:              ST8000NM0195
Revision:             PT71
User Capacity:        8,001,563,222,016 bytes [8.00 TB]
Logical block size:   4096 bytes
Formatted with type 2 protection
Logical block provisioning type unreported, LBPME=0, LBPRZ=0

or check for prot_en=1 like:

[root at rt28 ~]# sg_readcap -l /dev/sdj | head -2
Read Capacity results:
   Protection: prot_en=1, p_type=1, p_i_exponent=0 [type 2 protection]

The fix is to reformat without protection, using sg_format --format
--fmtpinfo=0 <device>

Cheers
Toby
--
Toby Darling, Scientific Computing (2N249)
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology