[zfs-discuss] recommendations for a 50 TB zpool?

Ulli Horlacher framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Sat Nov 3 19:33:58 EDT 2018

I have to set up a new F*EX (*) server with about 50 TB.
I will get 8 8-12 TB SAS or SATA disks.
The throughput will be about 1 TB/d (accumulated read+write).

Reliabilty is more important than performance.

Rebuilding of a defect and replaced 12 TB disk will take many hours and in
this time a second disk failure will be catastrophic.
Therefore I thought of using RAIDZ2.

So far I have used ZFS only with 2-disk-RAID1.

Any recommendations for my use case?

The OS will be CentOS (decision set by management, no discussion possible).

(*) https://fex.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/
    https://fex.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/features.html

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum TIK
Universitaet Stuttgart         E-Mail: horlacher at tik.uni-stuttgart.de
Allmandring 30a                Tel:    ++49-711-68565868
70569 Stuttgart (Germany)      WWW:    http://www.tik.uni-stuttgart.de/
REF:<20181103233358.GA15759 at rus.uni-stuttgart.de>