[zfs-discuss] recommendations for a 50 TB zpool?

Ulli Horlacher framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Sun Nov 4 03:46:21 EST 2018

On Sat 2018-11-03 (20:02), Ted Cabeen via zfs-discuss wrote:
> I have a 700TB array built on 12-drive RAIDZ2 vdevs.  Works fine,
> rebuilds are long, but not super long, and should get better now that
> sequential resilver is almost released.

"sequential resilver" is a new ZFS feature?
I have not used ZFS for the last 3 years, so I am a little bit out of
business :-}

> Do you need synchronous writes?  If not, with sequential reads, you
> don't need SLOG or L2ARC, just put in a decent amount of memory, and set
> recordsize to 1MB.

"synchronous writes" means data will be written directly to disks?
We have a good UPS, so synchronous writes are not that important.
The server will have 32 GB of RAM, the application needs less than 1 GB.

Reading
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS#Caching_mechanisms:_ARC_(L1),_L2ARC,_Transaction_groups,_SLOG_(ZIL)
"can be added or removed from a "live" system without disruption"

Therefore I could add it later, if necessary.

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum TIK
Universitaet Stuttgart         E-Mail: horlacher at tik.uni-stuttgart.de
Allmandring 30a                Tel:    ++49-711-68565868
70569 Stuttgart (Germany)      WWW:    http://www.tik.uni-stuttgart.de/
REF:<238a6787-b8f0-9747-c145-c2fafee0ced2 at lscg.ucsb.edu>