[zfs-discuss] zfs-discuss Digest, Vol 43, Issue 3

George Melikov mail at gmelikov.ru
Wed Nov 7 09:48:36 EST 2018

> I believe no answer has been given as to why one should avoid > 4TB drives (or helium-filled disks for that matter). Interestingly, the latest backblaze stats recommend helium-based models.

The answer is short: disk read/write speed is nearly (yes, +-100MB/sec can't help you there) same for every HDD size, so resilver time will grow linearly and 4+TB disk have more risk of pool destruction during resilver.

Cherry on a pie:
- consumer HDDs: Non-recoverable read errors per bits read = <1 in 10^14, so manufacturers are nearly guarantee a one bit failure on ~11.37TB of data read
- enterprise HDDs: <1 in 10^15, so a one bit failure on ~113TB of data read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#URE