[zfs-discuss] zfs-discuss Digest, Vol 43, Issue 3

Bzzzz lazyvirus at gmx.com
Wed Nov 7 09:53:25 EST 2018

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 09:35:58 -0500
Maurice Volaski via zfs-discuss <zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org> wrote:

> I believe no answer has been given as to why one should avoid > 4TB
> drives (or helium-filled disks for that matter). Interestingly, the
> latest backblaze stats recommend helium-based models.

About helium, it's easy to answer: as it is the second atome/molecule
after Hydrogen, it is sooo small that it goes through the net of any
material atomes (including metals).

So it is a mind-swindle as, yes, it'll ease heads movements because of
it's lower density, and no, it won't take very long before it turns
back to a regular HD. (not to mention that iPhones MEMS dislike
Helium;-p)

About 4TB, a wild guess: 'cos it'll take much less time to resilver than
a 12TB one, lowering the odds on a 2nd HD breakdown before
reconstruction is finished.

JY